Exhibitors of SFZF MUST have a copy of a valid CA Temporary Seller's Permit before tabling. Stress not, Dear Friends, the process is fast and easy to do online. 

Below is a walkthrough of the process to file for a temporary seller's permit through the Board of Equalization. Although this is a relatively quick process, we strongly encourage you to file for your permit as soon as possible.

Registering with the BOE

***NOTE FROM BOE: Some eServices will be unavailable from Sunday at 7:00 p.m. to Monday at 5:00 a.m., Pacific Time for routine maintenance. Responsibility for filing a return and submitting payment for tax due remains with each taxpayer.***
Step number one is to visit the BOE website to create an account. Here is the URL: https://efile.boe.ca.gov/ereg/index.boe
Click on "Register Business Activity." You will then be brought to a page asking which kind of business activity you are registering for. Click whichever boxes apply to you.


Next there will be another page asking which kinds of the following materials you are selling. Check any boxes that apply to you (or leave blank if none apply to you) and click "Next" to continue.

*NOTE*  The option of "selling lumber products or engineered wood products" is reference to building materials such as  siding, lath, plywood, oriented strand board, or I-joists, not zines or small wooden craft projects.

You will then be directed to a Declaration of Intent; click "Accept" to continue.


You will then need to complete the registration form to create your account with the BOE. Make sure to click "Yes" at the last question for a Temper Seller's Permit. 

You will then be directed to a confirmation page displaying your username, password, and Registration ID.    

Print or write down this information, you will need it later.

Filing Your Temporary Seller's Permit

Once you have created an account with the BOE you will need to return to their homepage to file your permit. Login to the eClient Login by inputting your User ID and Password. After you have logged in you will need to click on the "Register a business activity with BOE" link to begin filing for a permit.

You will once again have to complete the pages asking which kind of business activity you are engaging in. Once you have completed those pages and agreed to a Declaration of Intent you will be taken to the Preparer Information page.  

Complete the page by selecting the options that apply to you. If you are a single individual exhibiting their work, you would be considered an Individual business entity, with your role being the Owner. Make sure as well to select "Yes" for the last question asking if you are applying for a Temporary Seller's Permit.

You will then be directed to a page to submit your Ownership Information. Complete the form by inputting the requested information. 

Once you have finished the Ownership Information page, you will need to complete a page asking for your Business Information; complete the form by inputting the requested information. 

For the Temporary Sales Address, please input the County Fair Building's street address of 1199 9th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122; for the phone number and email fields input your personal contact information.

For the NAICS code, you will want to select "Retail"; if you are predominately selling zines, artwork, comics, or other printed materials, choose code "451212 News Dealers and Newsstands".  

After you have entered a NAICS code you will need to input your Temporary Sales Event Information as well as the Event Organizer Address. 

For "Estimated Event Sales Amount" you do not need to put an exact total, but rather a maximum range of what you think your sales will be.  

For "Space Rental Cost" input your exhibitor tabling fee amount ($50 for a half-table; $100 for a full table). 

For "Event Organizer Address" please input the County Fair Building's street address of 1199 9th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122 .

If you are accepting credit card payments at your table, make sure to mark "Yes" on the last question on the form. 


After you have inputted all information click "Save." At this point you will be taken to a permit registration review page to review all your information. Make sure to print or save this page for your records. 

It can sometimes take up to 24-48 hours for the Board of Equalization to send you an email confirming your application has been submitted.  

Reviewing Your Permit and Account Number

Once you have received a confirmation email from the BOE you will need to log back into their homepage and click on the "View prior applications, print permits/licenses and more" link. This will take you to a list of the applications and permits you have filed. There you should find your application for your Temporary Seller's Permit.


Under the "Registration Id"  column there will be a number listed for your application; click on that number to review your information. 

On the lower half of this page there will be a section for your Temporary Seller's Permit (displayed as the red boxed area below). Your permit has been cleared when under "Registration Status" it reads "Issued" . In this area you will also see your Account Number. Write this number down, it is the key piece of information we will need.

Now that you have your Account Number for your permit, you will need to bring a hardcopy with you to the SF Zine Fest (this is what our staff will be collecting at check-in).

You can download a blank template for your Temporary Seller's Permit at the link below. Print and fill out the Temporary Seller's Permit template with your account number and the "valid through dates" (August 31st, 2013 and September 1st, 2013) in the corresponding form fields: